3 Things That I Just Learned

3:30:00 PM

Some weeks ago I learnt about three things.

1) Don't dance wearing ripped jeans.
Cause 2 weeks ago, two of my ripped jeans were torn because I wore them in a practice and also in a battle competition. One of them was a cheap custom-made, but the other one was Forever21; which made it sucks. Never. Dance. Wearing. Ripped jeans. Especially when it's expensive.

2) Don't focus too much on winning
I've always been carrying this with me: "It's not about being the best, it's about giving the best of you.". And it applied again in the last battle competition that I joined. I didn't give a damn about winning. Hell, all I think about was to enjoy the music. I didn't think about my opponent's dance, and I even accepted the probability of me losing. To sum it up, what's in my mind was "Yeah whatever, if I'm gonna lose let it be, I just wanna dance". And for 4 rounds straight to Top 4, I passed. I don't know if it works the same with you, but I find this kind of works the best for me in the present.

When I try and correlate this with my work outside dance, I kind of feel the same. When I focus too much to look like I'm the best in the group, most of the time I find myself embarrassing; that I overrated myself. And that disappoints the heck out of me. But when I just try to go with the flow and do what I can, enjoy the process, more appreciation and self-fulfillment come my way.

3) I have unique flava in dancing that I need to develop
No one's been telling me. I thought I was only ordinary. Just like everyone else. Maybe I'm copying someone's style too wihout even realizing. But someone suddenly told me this. A guy that is also O.G. in Indonesia dance scene. He told me that I have this unique "mentel" style. Yes, mentel is girly. But that is not an insult at all for me. He told me I have a mentel flava danced by a man, and a style like that is never seen around before. That I need to develop that style further. He even gave me some methods to further my dance. No one ever told me that. Honestly, it made me feel special and boosted my confidence in dance. No more thoughts that I'm ordinary. Thank you!

These are the three simple things that I've learned.
Thinking of keeping this activity as weekly learning report. Wdyt?

You Might Also Like

0 feedbacks