Adios Surabaya, Hola Melbourne!

4:20:00 PM

Sunday, March 3rd 2019 |


Hi folks. It's been 2 weeks since I moved to Melbourne. Man. Here I am.

How my farewell with certain someone felt
A week before I go was hard as it all started to get real. I had nothing more to look forward to in Surabaya after World of Dance. So all I did was prepping everything before I go. Packing, buying this and that. And the hardest part was making sure I spent the right amount of time with the right people. So I did.












And also managed to did a Valentine mini-Charity. yay!




If you ask me how I felt, I would say it felt flat. I think it might be my unconscious mechanism to not feel sad because honestly? I had a lot of insecurities and anxieties inside. Am I gonna be able to speak english fluently? Cause I tend to stutter when I meet natives. Am I gonna be able to make friends? Am I gonna be able to find some work and buy my own bread? Am I gonna be able to learn how to cook? Am I gonna be able to survive in this whole new country? Mostly because I never lived outside my hometown. So yeah, I didn't feel anything. Prolly because it was too much for me to handle.


The emotions started flooding in around D-2. Man. You don't know how many times I cried alone in my room. Thinking about how I'm not gonna meet Mom, Dad, my Sister, Vodka, Ste, Ipin, Samantha, Jay, Ce Bing, BDC, LM. I'm not gonna spend every Monday and Thursday practicing with LM. And jumping to a whole new world. Shit just started. getting. real. And I was glad to spend the last night having a deep convo with my sister. A thing we almost never did because we're too busy with our own lives. :)


So the day came. My family + Ipin + Samantha accompanied me to the airport. In the airport, my cousin hired a VIP airport service which was VERY convenient. Other than picking me up at the lobby with my luggage, carrying my documents, checking me in....I'll tell you later. So I was surprised that a large number of people showed up!!!!! Honestly I didn't expect it to be that many. Last Minute Street Crew, Devina, Yuli, Hana, Valen, Febe, Ste on video call. Wow. I'm just so fuckin' grateful for them in my life. God is so kind to have given me these wonderful people.


I feel so loved. I feel supported. Not just by coming, they gave me some token of love with positive affirmations and wishes. They made me feel confident. Whole. Content. And I guess it's what I had been needing for this new trip. Thank you so much. I love you guys. (Also from Abel in Singapore transit!)






I will miss everyone and everything so damn much.
Thank you for your faith in me. I hope I can make everyone proud.


*ah, as for the VIP airport service. I had to board the airplane at around 9 if I'm not mistaken, And at 8.50, I was still busy saying goodbye. And when we (me and Chachia, my friend who's coincidentally on the same flight) got to the immigration portal, it was really crowded. I thought it was impossible, but there was surprisingly a private line for VIP services! So we didn't need to Q at all. When the people who were Qing saw us, they're like bitch how'd you get there  
- - - - - - - - - - -

So that's how I said see you again to my hometown.
Now Melbourne. I guess I've been doing well! Surprisingly.

The first two days were overwhelming for me. Had I not known Jasmine Wirawan, I would prolly have gone crazy. She picked me up from the airport, and has been giving me an essential Melbourne 101! She taught me a lot of things from Myki cards (for trains and buses), groceries, the city, the people, just everything. And I will forever be grateful that you're my day 1 in this city, Min! So after the overwhelming information in the first two days, and spider issues in the house and in my room in the first week.... I guess I'm settling in alright.




Spiders. Let's talk about spiders. They're one of the creatures I get creeped out of. I mean dude, shit's got 8 legs! And there's one in my incubator when I was a baby! (my sister saved me that time, thank you) Anyway. Shit's fricken real here. I've heard before that spiders are easily found in Australian homes. Especially in Summer. So I found a lot in my share house and even my room. There were 10+ of them, dead and alive. I found two crawling on top of my bed. I found one big ass spider crawling under my bed, and on top of my desk. Jesus Christ. But I've levelled up from using broom to tissue to pick the dead corpses. Yay. Now they only pop up once every few days.

Dance life. One word. Crazy. In two weeks, I joined 3 classes, and I got a chance to attend the practice of one of the finest team in Australia. I can feel a huge wave of positivity coming from this dance scene, and I'm really really grateful of how The Universe is leading me. I used to question why I was led to dance full-time in the past 2 years. But now it all starts to make sense. It gives me a lot of opportunity to thrive, to feel confident, even to travel the world. Dance is one of the pillars that built me, and it's one of the very few things that make me feel at home. I promise myself I won't stop dancing and thriving in this passion.

So whoever you are, if you need this. Everything will make sense someday.
Just put your faith in the universe, and believe that it's guiding you to where you should be.

Social life wise, I was honestly surprised that I got to stay me even in english-speaking environment! I read a theory that different languages can create different personalities inside of you. But I guess it doesn't affect my social perks. I can still be the Reinhard who feels bold (and a bit cocky I know) and open for convos. Man, it feels really good to be able to be yourself in a whole new place. I even feel that some of my perks are enhanced here (as the people are not conservative and they are REALLY nice). So yeah, it feels awesome.


Groceries. I hated groceries shopping on my first day when Jasmine taught me. It's confusing. It's something a mother should do. But you don't know how much I fricken love doing groceries now. I would do it everyday. I would do it at midnight. Try me. I. LOVE. GROCERIES. And I'm learning how to cook yay.


So yeah, it's been great 2 weeks! Melbourne is an easy city to adapt to, and the people are nice (yes, I keep telling people that when they ask me. But that's because it's true!). All is well. The only thing that gives me anxiety is that I want to find some work as soon as possible. I had a good amount of saving for now, but I don't wanna be having hard time on living expenses and burden my family in the next months, so yeah. Wish me luck.




Wow, it's a long post! (with a lot of bonus pictures)
There's just so many things I wanna write down. I will try to write more so that it doesn't pile up.

Thank you Universe, for everything.

You Might Also Like

0 feedbacks